A simple and delicious meal that will have your family and friends coming back for more. With a good piece of meat, mustard and some simple herbs, you can have a roast beef that’s tender and delicious – the mustard acts more of a binder and will impart a little flavour but will not be overpowering.
For the cut of beef there are a few options that work well including, top round roast, top sirloin roast, bottom round roast & eye of round roast. We usually use a top round roast. If you are unsure you can always ask your butcher for some advice.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 2-2.5hrs
- 1.8-2kg round roast beef
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp mustard (preferably English)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- remove the meat from the fridge for at least 90 mins to bring it up to room temperature
- preheat oven to 220°C
- in a small bowl combine oil, mustard, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt & pepper
- rub over the roast
- place the meat onto a roasting pan fitted with a roasting rack
- roast for 15-20 mins at 220°C
- reduce heat to 160°C and continue roasting for a further 1 hrs 45 mins for Medium, or 2 hours for medium to well done
- Remove from oven and let rest 15 to 20 mins before serving
Slice the meat into generous portions and serve with your favourite vegetables like roast potatoes, carrots & peas.